It’s not often that my fiance turns me onto cocktails. I am usually the ring-leader when it comes to those things, but this time I have him to thank for my love of a refreshing gin and cucumber.
In honor of St. Patrick’s day, I’ve decided to unveil this super cool and super yummy cucumber gin cocktail. What I love most about this drink (and what makes it different from most recipes you’ll find on the internet) is that it is made with fresh cucumber juice. Don’t get me wrong, I love a stiff drink, but there is something super refreshing about cucumber juice that takes this favorite to another level.
Most gin and cucumber cocktails have a few thin slices of cucumber mixed in. Others muddle slightly to get some of the flavor out. What ends up happening sometimes is that you really don’t taste the cucumber very much and you’re left munching on a gin soaked veggie while you’re waiting for your next drink. Well, I recently got myself a home juicer with which I’ve been making veggie drinks, many including cucumber, which reaps a ton of liquid. So I figured why not use that juice as a mixer to appease my fiance’s need for a sweeter cut but also offers a flavor that works for me?
Besides, St. Patrick’s Day is around the corner and who doesn’t love a nice green drink in celebration? I know my Irish friends and family do. This drink can, of course, be enjoyed any other day of the year but when you can be festive, be festive… right?
The measurements for this recipe are for 1 cocktail. We use Hendrick’s but this will work well with other types. If you don’t have a juicer, that’s fine. Spend a little extra time muddling; you’ll have less essence of cucumber but you can still get some juice out of it.
Cool Gin and Cucumber Cocktail
1.5oz cucumber juice
3-4 cucumber slices, plus more for garnish (as pictured)
3-4 mint leaves
2.5-3oz tonic water
1 tsp sugar (optional, for the sweet tooth)
- Cut your cucumber slices using a mandolin. For the muddling cucumbers, cut circles; for garnish, cut long slices as pictured.
- Lightly muddle mint leaves, cucumber slices and lime wedge in a shaker (light enough that the cucumber stays mostly in tact – you get plenty of cucumber flavor from the juice itself).
- Juice half of a cucumber with a juicer. Muddle extra cucumber if you don’t have a juicer.
- Add gin, cucumber juice and sugar (if using). Shake well and pour over ice.
- Top with tonic water and garnish with more mint and lime if desired.