Weekends are for “serious” breakfasts, and this Sunday's breakfast tacos are brought to you by the mister.
I have to admit that I tend to cheat myself out of a substantial morning meal Monday to Friday – usually opting for yogurt, juice or a quick bowl of cereal. Which is why I get super excited for Saturday and Sunday mornings because it's an unwritten rule that we are going to cook something good.
For some reason we had a ridiculous amount of corn tortillas in our refrigerator; far more than a household of two should ever need at one time. So Seware decided to take the reins on the breakfast train and whipped up something different!
We kept trying to come up with a clever name for these, thinking that they should be called “leftover” breakfast tacos, or something along those lines. You know, kind of like those “what can I do with my Thanksgiving leftovers” type of recipes. But the thing is, it's not exactly a recipe made up of leftovers. We cook so much that we pretty much always have the ingredients available in our refrigerator – other than the excessive amount of tortillas of course.
The nice thing about these breakfast tacos is that they are different. Not your typical omelet, fried egg, breakfast burrito or sandwich. On top of that, they aren't overly filling in that ‘ugh, I ate too much' type of way. They are also great because you can add anything that you fancy; beans, corn, salsa, smoked salmon, you name it! Whatever you've got in your fridge works! We did smoked salmon on our second round and they were bomb.com.
If you're looking for other breakfast ideas, try my Low-Fat Banana Bread!
Healthy Breakfast Tacos In 10 Minutes
Makes 4 breakfast tacos
1/2 diced beefsteak tomato
1 small jalapeno, chopped small
1/4 – 1/2 cup diced onions
2 breakfast sausage, diced small
4 slices turkey bacon, chopped small
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 corn tortillas
1/8 tsp Adobo
3/4 tsp olive oil
Mild jalapeno Tabasco to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry diced onions and jalapenos in 1/4 tsp olive oil (turn on vent).
- Fry turkey bacon and chop into small pieces.
- Break eggs into a small bowl, beat with a fork and season with Adobo, salt and pepper.
- Dice up breakfast sausage and fry in hot pan for 2 minutes, using 1/4 tsp olive oil (just enough for the meat to slightly brown). Add egg mixture and scramble.
- While the eggs are frying, lightly toast the tortillas in the remaining olive oil.
- Assemble each taco on a baking sheet; toasted tortilla, a small sprinkle of cheddar and Parmesan cheese on the bottom, followed by eggs, fried onions, jalapenos, and turkey bacon. Top with a little more cheese and broil with the door fully closed (faster! Just don't go anywhere).
- Remove pan from oven after roughly 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes, tabasco and more onions and bacon if desired.