These easy Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the perfect addition to Sunday brunch! Toast one up and add a little bit of butter for a perfectly delicious morning delight.
I love this lemon blueberry muffin recipe because each bite is bursting with flavor thanks to the fresh blueberries and the lemon juice. Add the optional turbinado sugar to the top and the sparkling sugar crunch will just about put you over the edge.
I often shy away from making anything that feels overly complicated for breakfast because I'm really just too impatient to cook on an empty stomach. But once I actually make said complicated recipe, I'm like wow, that wasn't so bad after all.
That's how you'll feel with this muffin recipe – it's really a lot easier than you may think and it'll have you rethinking what you eat for breakfast each morning!
My favorite thing about blueberry muffins is that the berries burst open in the oven and just leak the juices out into the muffin, adding both moisture and flavor.
How to make Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line your muffin tin with cups. If you aren't using cups, prepare with cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 3: In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg, milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add sugar and combine until smooth.
Step 4: Combine wet and dry ingredients and combine until thick and smooth.
Step 5: Gently fold blueberries into your batter.
Step 6: Scoop batter into your prepared muffin pan. Top each muffin with turbinado sugar (optional)
Step 7: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until blueberry lemon muffins are golden brown.
Vegan Lemon and Blueberry Muffins
If you're looking for vegan lemon blueberry muffins, use your favorite alternatives! I had to get off of dairy in the early months of breastfeeding my daughter because she was having reflux issues. For this recipe, I personally used oat milk instead of regular milk, and Earth Balance butter to make it dairy free.
If you want to make this vegan, substitute the milk, butter, and the eggs (with a vegan replacement such as Just Egg).
OTHER BREADS AND BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
- 2 cup + 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick, melted)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Turbinado Sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line muffin tin with muffin cups, or spray tin with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg, milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add sugar to butter mixture and combine until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients (flour mixture) to the wet ingredients (butter mixture), and combine until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Gently fold blueberries into your mixture.
- Scoop 1/3-1/2 cup of the batter into your prepared pan.
- Top each muffin with turbinado sugar (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
To make vegan lemon blueberry muffins, use your favorite alternatives! Substitute the milk with your favorite alternative (such as oat, soy, or almond), the butter (such as Earth Balance), and the eggs (such as Just Egg).