What’s better than peanut butter cookies? Peanut butter oatmeal cookies, of course. These cookies are a super fast and easy way to whip up a treat that tastes like you spent a ton of time baking.
Like Banana Bread, peanut butter cookies have always been one of my go-to late-night recipes when I am feeling the need to bake. I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand and they are SO easy to make. I was feeling adventurous this go around and decided to take a spin off my classic peanut butter cookie recipe and incorporate oats for a unique flavor with a nice chewy texture.
I’ve been in such a tailspin trying to master the art of good lighting while making time for my “real” work during the day. I made these cookies in the very late afternoon and only had enough time to get the dough balls photographed in semi-decent lighting before that perfect ray of light was suddenly behind the trees.
As I’m sure many food bloggers know, this is a challenge. How do you make your photos look good when more often than not you are cooking after hours when the sun don’t shine? Kitchen lighting straight-up sucks and flash photos are a no-no. I’ve found myself having to get my ingredients prepped the night before so that I can do some of my cooking mid-day, or, taking another go at photos the day after cooking.
My fiance just built me a homemade light-box which I used last night for the first time on another recipe, and I am VERY excited for the photo potential.
Anyway, back to the food. It’s totally possible to make these even more oatmeal-like, by adding another 1/4 – 1/2 cup of oats, but that’s entirely based on your personal preference. I only used 3/4 cup for this recipe.
I used crunchy peanut butter because, well, I like a crunch… but creamy peanut butter would also be fine with the same measurements.
If you’re looking for other dessert ideas, try my Lemon Lime Bars With Shaved Coconut!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
3/4 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Beat the egg, vanilla extract and chunky peanut butter into the sugar mixture.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until it’s just mixed.
- Fold in oats, being careful not to powder them.
- Roll 1 1/2 inch balls of dough and place on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
RECOMMENDED ITEMS USED FOR PREPPING
- Sagler stainless steel mixing bowls are a great option because they will come in handy for many different recipes. They are on sale for $36.99 with free shipping.
- As much as I like Stainless Steel Whisks, I prefer using these Silicone Wire Balloon Whisks because I can even use them on my non-stick pans without scratching or damaging the pan or any other surface.