This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeItYourself #CollectiveBias #BakeFromScratch
My favorite way to eat pizza is from scratch! Learn how to make homemade pizza with the best ingredients!
It's not often that I can convince my husband to have pizza. I'm the lover of all things bready and cheesy, whereas he is all about clean “caveman” eating. So we pretty much never order pizza, unless I am lucky enough to get some when we are visiting family or friends.
But then I made pizza at home one day, and boy gobbled that thing up like he hadn't eaten in weeks. I was all *scratching chin emoji*/*shifty eye emoji* because I saw my opportunity.
If I am craving a pizza fix, which is often, all I have to do was make it at home to his liking. You see, his problem was with pizza shops making them with too much dough and cheese, rather than a nice crust to toppings ratio.
I got you, boo.
I know that when we do have takeout pizza, he by default wants either bbq chicken or buffalo chicken, so when I got the idea to sway him toward my favorite dish at home, I obviously went with one of his favorites.
Enter Sweet Whiskey BBQ Chicken Pizza.
Way back in the day, I made a bbq sauce from scratch, and we have since used it on so many different recipes, and this one is no exception! There is just something about the sweet and savory flavor of bbq chicken coupled with the cheese and sauce that makes me drool all over the place.
Like making dough from scratch, making your own sauce seriously takes your recipes to the next level. If you are following this recipe, I would recommend making your sauce ahead of time so that it's ready to go when you're ready to bake!
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough
Now, I would consider myself to be a bit of a pizza snob. I remember growing up and sometimes making personal-sized pizzas at home on pre-made doughs, and even at 8 years old, I knew there had to be a better option.
Honestly, if you're going to do it up at home, there is nothing better than a homemade crust. Through a series of trial and error, I've found Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast to reap the best results. I use it for all of my breads and now also, my crusts!
Baking with yeast from scratch simply has better results; the taste, the quality of the bread, the crunch, everything. Though you do have to spend a little time measuring, mixing, and kneading, you're going to end up with a quality end result that you'll want to make over and over again (seriously, there's no going back after you do it once!).
Not to mention the pride you'll feel when you tell your family that yes, it is entirely homemade! So worth it.
How To Bake With Yeast
A lot of people are afraid to make pizza doughs (or any doughs) from scratch, thinking it's intimidating, but it's really not. It requires few ingredients and is an incredibly simple process, even for beginners who have never baked with yeast before. All you have to do is dissolve the yeast in warm water, add the remaining ingredients, and knead for 4-5 minutes. Let it sit for 10 more minutes and you're ready to load it up with your favorite pizza toppings! I follow this recipe for 30-minute pizza crust.
When using Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast, it's very important to make sure that the water is lukewarm; not cold, not hot. If your water is too hot, it will kill the yeast and thus, your precious dough.
Just add the water heated to 120˚F-130˚F and follow the instructions on the package. I would recommend using a thermometer to check the temperature before adding the yeast.
I'd also like to point out that you should check the expiration date on your yeast before using it. We often overlook expiration dates when it comes to baking ingredients, and expired yeast is often the culprit behind dough that doesn't rise.
Related: Sweet Whiskey BBQ Sauce
Tips For the Best 30-minute Pizza
- Heat your pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- Use Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast when you're in a rush: We get it, there isn't always time to wait for that dough to rise! Luckily, Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast only takes ten minutes; yes, TEN minutes to rise. Talk about a no-brainer.
- Prepare your chicken and sauce in advance: These take the longest to prepare independently and can easily be done hours ahead of dinner time. If you're really crunched for time, make them the day before so they're ready when you are.
We're willing to bet you won't bother with takeout pizza anymore!
LOOKING FOR OTHER PIZZA & FLATBREAD RECIPES?
Connect with Life She Lives!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
For the crust
- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120˚F-130˚F)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
For the Pizza
- 1/2 to 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup sliced green peppers
- 5 bulbs fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Breast, shredded (about three pieces)
- 1 cup Sweet Whiskey BBQ Sauce*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place your pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven, and preheat to 425°F
- Clean and season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Pan-fry chicken for about seven minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through. Remove from heat and shred with two forks. Toss in Sweet Whiskey BBQ Sauce. Set aside.
- For the dough: In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add warm water (120˚F-130˚F) and oil. Use your hands to mix everything together until well-blended, about one minute. Continue adding the remaining flour until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough. Flour a flat surface and knead the dough for five minutes or until it is smooth and elastic. At this point, let the dough rise for ten minutes.
- While the dough is rising, cut the peppers and onions into thin slices, and mince the garlic. Set aside.
- After ten minutes, pour the dough onto a clean work surface. Use a rolling pin on a floured counter to press the dough into a 12-inch circle, or use floured hands to fill a pizza pan or baking sheet. Create the crust by pinching the edges.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly across dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and top with the shredded chicken, peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Bake the pizza on the lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, rotating about halfway through. Remove when cheese is bubbly and crust is golden.
- Drizzle with remaining Sweet Whiskey BBQ Sauce and serve hot.
*Get the recipe for Sweet Whiskey BBQ Sauce here.
SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER: