I have traveled more in the past two years than I have in my entire life. Living in Grand Cayman and being as close as I am to my family has proven difficult. So, I have made quite a few trips back to New England – 6 or 7 times to be exact, with another trip just weeks away. Before moving, I visited Cayman 4 or 5 times because my fiance lived here for close to a year before I moved. That amounted to a lot of time organizing and reorganizing luggage.
That said, I have become pretty packing-savvy. My dad would probably disagree (*lifts suitcase from trunk* – “Sheesh Kate, whatcha got in here?!”), and he’s probably right considering I tend to pack twice as much as I need. BUT, I’ve at least nailed the essentials aspect of traveling.
Here are 10 things I NEVER travel without:
This post contains affiliate links, but these are all products I love!
1. Bose QuietComfort Noise Cancelling Headphones. That crying baby and that group of rowdy spring breakers won’t be heard with these awesome noise cancelling headphones. Flip a switch and everything around you is drowned out so you can enjoy your music or movie.
2. Health Warrior Chia Bars. They may be small but these totally tie me over when the airplane pretzels just aren’t enough.
3. Kate Spade Tote. Also good for lugging around your laptop and other important carry-on items. Carry a tote and a backpack and you’re good to go!
4. Jackery Mini Portable Charger. It is a lifesaver for any person who travels by plane, car or train. It doesn’t take long to charge and it takes up little space in your purse (it’s slightly larger than a lipstick).
5. TOMs Slip-on Sneakers. Super comfortable, easy to slip on and off, and goes with pretty much any comfy travel outfit. The plus is that with every product purchased, TOMs will help a person in need.
6. Estée Lauder DayWear (Travel Size). Rather than traveling with the full-sized versions of my facial products, I save my GWP finds to use as toiletries. They’re perfect because they’re all under 3oz so they can easily be carried on your person if you aren’t checking a bag.
7. L’Occitane Hand Cream. If you’re anything like me, your hands do crazy things when you’re traveling. I have combination skin so I never know when I’m going to feel dry. This fits nicely in your makeup bag!
8. Northface Vault Backpack. Think about all the stuff we carry: laptop, iPad, a book, snacks, water, 3oz or less liquids, etc. If you’ve carry a lot, you can count this as your personal item (with your purse inside, haha suckers!) and carry another bag as your “carry-on” – beating the system, one bag at a time.
9. Simple Cleansing Wipes. These are key for travel. You never know what kind of bathroom access you are going to have, and we all know and hate that nasty “I’ve been traveling since 6AM” feeling.
10. S’well Water Bottle. We’ve all purchased an airport water bottle only to have to either chug it down or throw it away when going through security. Next thing you know you’re buying another one. Waste of money! Get a water bottle, fill and refill it throughout your travels.
If you like reading about travel, check out some of my most recent adventures: One Night In Amsterdam or Tanzania: 11 Planes, 2 Boats, 1,000+ Driving Miles. Or, take a look at my post about how I used Credit Card Reward Points to travel to Africa for FREE.